Everybody is psyched up about the upcoming Nexus 5 but we tend to forget that these days a Nexus smartphone is never far away from the launch of a Nexus tablet and since we already have the Nexus 7 2013 edition, it is time for a successor to last year’s Samsung-made Nexus 10. That successor is said to be made by the makes of the successful Nexus 7, Asus though no one is ruling out the possibility that the Koreans could be second time lucky. Proof? PhoneArena managed to get some screen grabs of the Nexus 10 2013 Edition before the pages was quickly pulled down. The leaked pages have details about the specifications of the tablet as well as press images.
As expected the Nexus 10 is more of a refresh and not a big departure from last year’s model. The display remains the same but there are some notable differences like a bigger battery, a different chipset (the bullish Snapdragon 800) and something else more peculiar: 3 GB RAM. It’s not the first time we are seeing 3 GB RAM on a mobile device (the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet have it) but it is the first time we are seeing such on a Nexus tablet. Then again, Google has recently come to be known for pushing the boundaries when it comes to its Nexus tablets. Just for perspective purposes, the new iPads (iPad Air and iPad Mini 2) have just 1 GB RAM.
Here are the specs:
- Measures 258.9 x 172.6 x 7.9 mm
- Weighs 684g
- 10.055″ 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution (300ppi) WQXGA; protected by Corning’s Gorilla Glass 3
- Quad-core Snapdragon 800 (not indicated at what speed it is clocked at) backed by an Adreno 330 GPU
- Has an 8 megapixel camera at the back and a 2.1 megapixel camera on the front
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/n (MIMO+HT40) – note MIMO
- Bluetooth (I guess v 4.0)
- 32 GB internal memory
- 3 GB RAM
- microUSB port
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- A 9500 mAh Lithium polymer battery
- Android 4.4 KitKat
- Sensors: microphone, accelerometer, compass, ambient light, gyroscope, barometer, GPS
The above specs lend a lot of credibility to rumours that the next Nexus 10 tablet is made by Samsung since they closely match the specs of the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.